- Last Updated on Friday, 04 October 2013 19:08
The 2009 Annual Meeting of the National Conference of Governor's Schools will be held October 22-24 in Burlington, Vermont. The meeting will be jointly hosted by the New York State Summer School for the Arts and the Governor's Institutes of Vermont. The theme of this year's Annual Meeting is simply Challenges. Governor's Schools around the country face difficult challenges at the same time they challenge their students to excel. Join us as we review innovative ways to challenge our students and examine methods to identify and respond to the challenges that face our programs, our states and our nation.
Lodging and meeting space will be provided by the Hilton Burlington. Conference room rates are no longer available. To reserve your room at the conference rate, call the Hilton reservation line (800-445-8667) or the local toll-free number (800-658-6504).
The Hilton Burlington offers complimentary shuttle service from the Burlington airport; simply use the courtesy phone near baggage claim to request shuttle service. The airport is only 15 minutes from the hotel. The hotel overlooks picturesque Lake Champlain, and we hope to catch the tail end of foliage season in Vermont. The hotel is also minutes away by foot from the Church Street Marketplace, an award-winning pedestrian shopping and entertainment district.
All conference and membership fees should be paid to NCoGS.
- Conferees wishing to initiate or renew NCoGS membership: $120
- Conferees who do not wish to become NCoGS members: $130
To register, complete theor and mail with payment to Judy Powers at the New York State Summer School of the Arts.
NCoGS membership fees are as follows:
- $75 per person for the first two (2) members from a state or program;
- $25 per person for the third and subsequent members from a state or program.
To pay membership dues, complete theor and mail with payment to Judy Powers at the New York State Summer School of the Arts.
Airlines serving Burlington International Airport are AirTran, Continental, Delta, JetBlue, Northwest, US Airways and United. Fly into Burlington from Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Newark, New York (LGA and JFK), Orlando, Philadelphia and Washington (IAD and DCA). The Hilton Burlington offers parking for a daily fee.
All meetings will be held in the Vermont Conference Room unless otherwise stated
Thursday, October 22, 2009
- 2:30 – 4:00 Registration, downstairs lobby
- 4:00 Board Meeting, meet in Ethan Allen Suite, Room 736
- 5:30 ECHO Center, self-tour - Walking distance
- 6:00 – 8:00 ECHO Center, catered dinner
Friday, October 23, 2009
- 7:30 – 8:30 Breakfast
- 8:30 – 9:00 Registration in lobby
- 9:00 – 9:15 Welcome and Introductions, Daniel Hocutt, NCoGS President
- 9:15 – 10:00 The Educational Lives of High Performing Adolescents in Vermont, a dissertation presentation by Jean Olson, Ed.D., Vermont
- 10:00 – 10:15 Break
- 10:15 – 12:00 Discussion: What challenges do Governor’s Schools overcome? Personal/Student/Faculty/Organization; How your GS challenges all members to achieve to potential. Facilitated by Ted Tarkow, Missouri
- 12:00 – 2:00 “Roll Call” Lunch: What are your organizational challenges?
- 2:00 – 2:30 Herding Cats: The challenge of managing 180 high school students 24/7 for three weeks and making them like it: Thomas P. Knotts, WV Alum and Residence Director WV GS
- 2:30 – 3:00 Global Awareness in GS Programs: Dorothy Sisk, Program Director, TX
- 3:00 – 3:30 Break with snacks
- 3:30 – 4:15 Highlights of The Governor’s Institute on Current Issues & Youth Activism: Simon Norton, Program Director, VT
- 4:15 – 5:00 Wrap-up discussion of challenges and issues raised
- 6:00 – ? Dinner and walk around downtown Burlington
Saturday, October 24, 2009
- 7:30 – 8:30 Breakfast
- 9:00 – 9:40 Roll Call Reprise
- 9:45 – 10:30 What are the solutions to the challenges discussed/what are you taking back? Moderated discussion on how we confront our challenges: Aris Cedeno, KY Scholars Program
- 10:30 – 11:00 Break
- 11:00 – 12:00 Business Meeting
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
- 1:00 Optional afternoon activities
- 6:00 Meet in lobby for dinner plans in downtown Burlington